Recently, Netlflix broke our tender queer hearts by announcing that it would not renew Sense8 for a third season, citing such dreary (and frankly heteronormative) reasons as “numbers.” But today, co-creator Lana Wachowski took to Twitter to announce that the show’s fans had done the impossible, and convinced Netflix to give us the goodbye we deserve with a 2-hour special, to be released next year.
Wachowski’s jubilant announcement reflects everything there is to love about Sense8: namely, its completely uncool and unselfconscious belief in the power of human connection. And it would seem that, at least this once, this faith is being rewarded. In these MONUMENTALLY SHITTY TIMES, Sense8’s commitment to queerness, trans inclusivity, tolerance, and (yes, imperfectly executed) diversity feels more vital than ever, and having it snatched away without a proper ending was a real blow to its fans, who are truly unlike any other fandom on the internet. I stopped writing recaps because I was too depressed at the thought of throwing my heart into all these stories only to leave them unfinished (if you want the recaps back, let me know in the comment section).
So with this news, we can all start making our wish lists for what should happen in the special. Here is mine:
- Nomi and Amanita need to GET MARRIED in a FOREST, with TWINKLE LIGHTS, or I will RIOT. (I also wouldn’t say know to another cameo from the rainbow-striped dildo.)
- Wolfgang needs to either choose to be happy or die.
- Lito can go ahead expanding the possibilities for gay male movie stars, as long as it doesn’t cut into his true full-time job of cuddling adorably with Fernando and crying.
- Sun has chosen to leave the path of vengeance, but still has to come up with some way to punish her brother for his awfulness. But more importantly, Sun needs to determine whether Detective Moon, The World’s Cutest Boy, is still alive, and if so, she needs to marry him and spend a blissful lifetime beating him in fights.
- Kala…you know what, we don’t have time for Kala to do anything. It’s only a two-hour special.
- Will needs to be taken SHOPPING by both Wolfgang and Lito, because that boy does not own a single pair of jeans that fit.
- Riley should learn to play an instrument other than her laptop.
- Capheus has the toughest road ahead, since he has to get elected to office, end corruption, find out who is hogging the cure for AIDS, and dismantle biphobia. It’s a lot. But he does have a very big van.
You will notice that none of my hopes for the special have anything to do with the shadowy organization trying to kill all the homo sensoriums, because that has never really been the point of the show. Sense8 is about the things that connect humans across all cultures and labels: joy, love, fireworks, and the lesbian national anthem. More than impressively-choreographed violence or murky origin stories, that’s the gift Sense8 has to give the world. I’m so glad we get another helping.
Please share what you are hoping for in the Sense8 special!